Business Development Manager – Ballast Water Treatment Systems
We are looking to expand into the market for ballast water treatment systems (BWTS). In order to develop the BWTS market we are looking to build a dedicated team, and for this team we are looking to recruit a Business Development Manager.
The responsibility of the Business Development Manager is to create long-term value for MR Marine from the market for inspecting and servicing BWTS, from new and existing customers. You will need to:
- Research and identify new business opportunities
- Generate leads and cold call prospective customers
- Meet with customers face to face or over (video) calls
- Foster and develop relationships with customers
- Understand the needs of your customers and respond effectively with a plan how to meet these
- Think strategically, seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives
- Have a good understanding of the products and services for the BWTS market and develop the appropriate value propositions
- Negotiate with customers, conclude and draw up contracts
- Attend seminars, conferences and events where appropriate
- Keep abreast of trends and changes in the shipping industry and in the BWTS market
- Develop relationships with BTWS OEMs, with the aim to develop representation agreements
We are looking for a candidate who possesses the following competencies:
- Creative skills. Whether it is seeing new ways existing opportunities could be developed, or finding completely new routes to market, creative thinking is essential for the role.
- Analytical skills. For business development, creativity must be based on an analytical mind. You will need to use market research and sales data to present opportunities to stakeholders. An in-depth understanding of the wider market is essential if new, realistic, attainable and profitable opportunities are to be proposed and developed.
- Communication skills. Business development is not for those who like to work alone. You may be required to coordinate with account managers and sales teams whose traditional priorities and focus lie elsewhere. Outside of your organisation, your role is to convince others to partner with us, so presentation and communication skills will be frequently called on
- Negotiation skills. Communication skills will gain you a foot through the door – but having negotiation skills will ensure the door is kept opened for future growth.
- Goal-focused. You are going to need to demonstrate that you can maintain and develop relationships over long periods, yet still have the ability to pull in quick wins to meet objectives and targets. Your focus must always be on meeting targets and you must demonstrate that you have the ability to pursue a long-term strategic vision whilst remaining flexible enough to respond tactically to changing demands or unexpected opportunities.
We are looking for someone who H.A.S. I.T.:
- Team player
Someone who thinks in terms of solutions, not problems. Someone who is a fun person to work with.
- BSc or MSc, preferably in Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a commercial role
- Experience with the shipping industry is positive
- Excellent command of the English language, in writing, reading and speaking
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of cultural differences
- A valid EU passport or visa that allows you to work in the EU without restrictions